Jorge Camarena Altamirano:
Art Psychotherapist, MBT Practitioner, Clinical Supervisor (HCPC, BAAT)
My name is Jorge Camarena Altamirano and I am a very creative and passionate Art psychotherapist with more than 13 years of clinical, managerial and supervisory experience within the NHS and privately.
Throughout these years, I have specialised in working clinically with individuals and groups of young adults, and adults with diverse mental health difficulties such as schizoaffective disorders, psychosis, acute and mild depression, substance misuse, eating disorders, acute anxiety, bipolar and pronounced interpersonal difficulties associated to disorganised and confused self-other experiences.
I have provided both group and individual relationally-focused psychotherapy, over the short, medium or long term.
My clinical practice has been framed on robust psychoanalytic, psychodynamic and art based evidence-based psychotherapeutic approaches, which have given me a solid framework to work with mild and complex interpersonal, intrapersonal dynamics and presentations.
I have always been interested in developing my clinical skills and enriching the theoretical ground I have gained over this time with the hope to get a further and deeper understanding of the diverse states of mind of the people that I have had the fortune to work with.
That is why, I have done further studies in evidence-based relationally-focused psychotherapies. All of them have contributed greatly not only to inform my clinical work but also to my clinical supervision skills.
I have learnt to validate, contain, explore and understand various challenging, difficult people’s experiences and presentations including impulsive and reactive behaviourss as well difficult relational patterns.
Within this context, I think is vital to pay attention to both verbal, and non-verbal aspects of the therapeutic intervention, our therapeutic stance and the use of creative media, to help individuals manage their presenting difficulties, with the hope to enhance their strengths and reach a more organised and coherent narrative of self/other experiences.
I have been offering clinical supervision for all age groups and clinical specialism within the NHS, voluntary and private sector. I have also provided individual and group clinical supervision to trainees within different clinical settings and from different training bodies.
I have specialist experience supervising work in adult mental health, psychosis, border personality disorder, mood disorders, eating disorders and substance misuse.
Within my practice I have proven to maintain, a high degree of professionalism at all times in both my clinical and supervision roles.
I am also strongly convinced of the importance of conducting a robust assessment of people’s presentations, of co-creating an detailed formulation and understanding of this presentation and the needed therapeutic intervention, with the view to build and maintain a safe, sensitive and trusting therapeutic relationship that could enable grow and expected change in people’s lives.
I am fully insured and hold Enhanced DBS Certification, and a state-registered practitioner supervises my private clinical work.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 2021: Mentalization-Based Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorders: Practitioner level. Anna Freud Centre. London-UK
- 2019: Systemic Psychodynamic approach. The Tavistock Consulting. The Tavistock and Portman Clinic. London-UK
- 2016: Moving teams from conflict to collaboration – a systems psychoanalytic approach. Tavistock Consulting, Tavistock and Portman Clinic. London-UK
- 2016: Psychoanalytic observational studies. The Tavistock and Portman, NHS Foundation Trust- University of East London. London-UK
- 2015: Evidence-Based Practice Series for Arts Psychotherapies: Exploring the reflective function in Arts Psychotherapies. ICAPT, The International Centre for arts psychotherapies training in Mental Health. London-UK
- 2014: Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy training. Anna Freud Centre. London-UK2013: Clinical Supervision training: Skill Workshop. BAAT. London-UK
- 2013: Introduction to Forensic Psychotherapy. The Portman Clinic. London-UK
- 2011: Mentalization-Based Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorders: Basic Training. Anna Freud Centre. London-UK
- 2010: Brief Interpersonal Therapy. The Tavistock Clinic. London
- 2009 MA in Art Psychotherapy, Goldsmiths University of London2005: P.G. Dip Art Therapy. 1999 B.A. (Hons) Degree Fine Arts.
Hours: Week days, please email for availability.
Fees: Individual work, initial consultation £75 for 50 minutes. Ongoing weekly individual sessions £75 for 50 minutes. Couples: £100 for 60 minutes.
Trainee therapists/students: Individual supervision £65 for 50 minutes. Group supervision: £150 for 1hr and half session
***If you are in need of more information and guidance about therapy, please use the contact form at the bottom of this page.***